Tips for Caring for Your Leather Jacket
Leather jackets have always been in trend, both among men as well as women alike. Pairing up superdry jackets with superdry jeans with a cool t-shirt can give you a highly fashionable look. Leather is truly capable of giving that trendy look, which no other material essentially can! It is a long lasting, natural, and sensual material, which is known for its versatile and rugged nature.
But, once you buy a leather jacket, it is important to care for it in the right way in order to preserve it for a long time. With just a little attention and care, your jacket can last for several years and continue to look new, and lively. And, here are a few important tips to clean and care for your leather jacket.
- The first tip in caring for leather jacket is to store it the right way when not in use. It should not be stored in extreme temperatures (too cold or too hot) or in excessive humidity or dryness. Store it in a closet that remains cool without being too dry or too damp. Before storing it, apply a coating of leather conditioner.
- Always store your leather jacket on a wide padded coat hanger as the thinner hangers can leave a mark on the jacket. Never cover these jackets with plastic as this will dry the leather.
- On most of the occasions, leather jackets can be cleaned at home only. For cleaning smooth leather jackets, you can just use a sponge or damp cloth for removing soil and surface dust. For tougher stains, consider using saddle soap or a mild detergent with water.
- Sometimes, the jacket may get wrinkled due to improper storage or usage. You can iron out the wrinkles using low heat or cotton pressing cloth. Avoid applying iron directly on leather. You can use a blow dryer, but be cautious not to get it in direct contact with leather.
- There are few things that you should avoid using on a leather jacket, like silicones, waxes, and any leather preparations. Don’t clean it with any substance that has alcohol, turpentine or mineral spirits in it as these can cause serious damage to leather.
- If you wish to make your jacket waterproof, you should feed it with silicone spray or mink oil after testing a small region on the jacket’s inner seam.
- If you get drenched in rain when wearing the jacket, dry it at room temperature away from direct sunlight or heat on a padded or wooden hanger. Avoid using moth balls.
- You can consider getting your leather jacket cleaned by professional dry cleaners rarely, but not too often as this can remove some of the dye. However, find out if the dry cleaner has any prior experience in cleaning leather garments.
- To clean oily stains on leather jackets, try rubbing little bit of baby shampoo on the particular spot and allow it to soak for few minutes. Later on, you can sponge it away carefully so that it does not affect the dye.
Leather jackets are a really prized possession, so it is crucial to take proper care of them to ensure that they last really long.
Category: Fashion & Lifestyle